10 August 2009

Half baked memories ...

It's Day 8 and Tania has us thinking about Sunday dinners. I want you to tell me what your Sunday dinner table looks like. how has it changed over the years. do you make the same thing every week or is Sunday reserved for going out or ordering pizza? who gathers around? or maybe you'd rather reminisce and talk about Sundays at a child and the memories it evokes. perhaps you have a favorite recipe to share and it has nothing to do with sundays at all. but it's savory and it's sunday, so go for it!


Gosh, the Sundays I spent as a child could not be more different than the Sundays my children spend now.

Sunday was baked lunch day - come rain, hail or shine. When we were living on the farm it was just Mum, Dad and I but after we moved into the neighbouring town when I was in my teens, my Grandmother was always invited to Sunday lunch each week. In the morning I would walk down to the paper shop and buy the Sunday papers; Dad would go off to collect Grandma and we would have a baked meal at lunchtime. Chicken or lamb, potatoes, carrots, peas, pumpkin with lashings of gravy; sometimes as a special treat we would have roast beef or a rolled roast. My Mum would always make a nice dessert, apple pie, baked rice or perhaps a steamed pudding. We would then relax, reading the papers, playing cards or watching TV until it was time for Grandma to go home.

Now my husband and I take advantage of the fact that our children are older and fairly self sufficient and have a sleep-in on a Sunday; rising later and I then usually cook a bacon and egg brunch and because of this we don't tend to worry about Sunday lunch focusing more on the evening meal which we all share together. Sundays are usually set aside for family events; if we go visiting or take in family excursions to the zoo etc Sunday is the day we do them. One thing however has not changed; we still buy the Sunday papers and spend a leisurely few hours reading them through and watching the kids fight over who gets the comic section first.

No comments: